Farmer’s Market invites Made In Kingston to Pop-Up Makers Market – Join Us!
The Winter Kingston’s Farmers Market is planning to stay outdoors in the Ulster County Courthouse parking lot in December. Since the winter market has fewer vendors than in summer, half the space will be vacant. They would love to have artists and makers set up a pop-up market on the two Saturdays – December 5th and 19th – and Made in Kingston has been invited to organize it! Outdoor winter markets carry their share of challenges, but in a difficult year, this offers a wonderful opportunity for in-person sales for our city’s makers, and our MIK organizing committee said “let’s do it!” The winter market is open from 10am to 2pm.
The Farmers Market has established Covid guidelines that have ensured a safe, vibrant, and well-attended market all summer (I have a booth there and can attest to it.) I strongly recommend you attend on a Saturday between now and mid-November (open 9am-2pm) to see the set-up if you haven’t already. Covid regulations are detailed below and you must agree to follow them to participate.
There is space for 25 pop-up makers. First dibs will go to those who have already applied to the online Makers Market and then on a first-come first-served basis. All pop-up vendors will also be included in the online Makers market at no extra charge. You can opt to do either or both markets. In addition to MIK’s marketing efforts, this event will be advertised in conjunction with the Kingston Farmers Market (e-blasts, social media, etc.). and we’ll provide a graphic for makers to share on social media as well.
This is a unique alternative to the traditional indoor MIK event; please read carefully below before applying.
Saturday, December 5, 10am-2pm
Saturday, December 19, 10am-2pm
You can apply for either or both markets.
One day: $40 (FREE for those who have already paid the Makers Market fee!)
Both days: $65 (only $25 for those who have already paid the Makers Market fee!)
Booth spaces and requirements:
- You will have a 10×10 space with no immediate neighbors due to social distancing guidelines.
- You must bring your own 10×10 tent and weightsto hold the tent down (sand bags or gallon bottles of water bungee-corded to tent legs work great). Flying tents are a major hazard and the market will not allow you to set up without weights.
- Please note from Covid guidelines: Customers must not enter stalls, self serve, nor touch any produce or products until after they have purchased.Vendors can set up tables along the perimeter of the tent so that customers can easily approach but not enter the booth. If you come by the summer market you’ll see this is quite easy and efficient.
- You must bring your own tables, tablecloths, and chairs.
- Spaces will be available on a first-come-first-served basis on the morning of the market beginning at 8am. There will be no booth assignments or layout maps. Feel free to coordinate with friends to be next to each other. Each market is separate and your space cannot be reserved for the second market.
Weather Cancellation Policy:
The pop-up makers market will follow farmers market guidelines. The market is usually only cancelled in very extreme weather circumstances; however, during pandemic times we must be prepared for changes and cancelations due to spikes in COVID-19 cases in our community or in response to government shutdown orders. If it becomes necessary we will alert vendors about the possibility of a cancellation by Thursday at 4pm, and we will officially cancel the market by 3pm on the Friday before the market. Cancellation will be announced to vendors by email and posted on Facebook. The pop-up makers market will not be rescheduled or moved indoors and vendors will not be refunded. We know it’s risky doing winter events, fingers crossed!
Liability: Vendors are fully responsible for their goods, vehicles, tents, display materials, etc. at all times, including setup and breakdown. Made in Kingston, Kingston Farmers Market, Business Alliance of Kingston, County of Ulster, and City of Kingston will not be held liable for any damage, theft, loss, or breakage.
Set-up begins at 8:30am and all vehicles must be out of the parking lot by 9:30am. Vehicle entrances are on John St between Crown & Wall or on Wall St across from the Old Dutch Church. Vendors can park on city streets or municipal lots and follow meter regulations if applicable. Break-down begins after the market closes at 2pm and cars will then be allowed back into the lot.
COVID-19 Safety Protocol:
- Masks are required to be worn at all times by shoppers, vendors and staff. Everyone must practice social distancing, staying 6 ft from one another.
- Only a certain amount of shoppers will be allowed into the market area at a time.
- Vendor’s tents will be separated at least 10 feet from one another.
- There will be no sampling or tasting of products.
- Only vendors and their staff may handle products. Customers must not enter stalls, self serve, nor touch any produce or products until after they have purchased.
- All vendors need to be sanitizing their stands regularly: wiping down tables, terminals, cash boxes, etc. and sanitizing their hands between customers.
- Vendors must stay home if they are sick!
Pop-Up Market Application:
- New applicants: APPLY HERE
- If you already applied to the online Makers Market: APPLY HERE
- After you submit, you will be taken to the payment page to complete your application.
Online Makers Market:
If you missed the previous announcements, you can find info and application for the online Makers Market (not the pop-up) here: ONLINE MAKERS MARKET
Thank you sponsors!
As always, we are deeply thankful to our generous sponsors who allow us to keep our vendor fees low. 2020 sponsors to date can be seen here.
Karen and the MIK Committee